11 May 2010

The Journey - The Beginning

"The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination."
~Don Williams Jr.

It was Thursday night, April 29th. After witnessing the snippets of the dress rehearsal for "The Journey" I just knew that I didn't want to miss a moment. So at 8:15pm I found myself at Best Buy plunking down my credit card to buy a camcorder {I won't bore you with details of how I had to return there on Saturday morning to exchange the whole thing and ring it in again. Suffice it to say that I spent twice what I thought I would to get it to work the way it should}.

I am so glad I did.

The recital for DEC is comprised of Act I and Act II. It is awesome to see what the dancers have learned and the poise and confidence they exhibit on stage, from the tiniest ballerinas to the most accomplished dancers. But the Performance Group is something only seen on Friday and Saturday nights. And this performance was special.

Inspired by the Cirque du Soleil with its incredible costuming, larger-than-life characters, dramatic staging and haunting music, "The Journey" was unlike any dance recital performance I have ever seen. 70 dancers ages 6-18 were the cast. And two seniors were the stars of the show.

This story takes the two on a journey through many different worlds to explore.
The symbolism was not lost on anyone in the audience.

I have to warn you that this was my first attempt to videotape anything in about 6 years. So it is a little rough, but I think you will get the idea. This is the Opening number. You will see me focus on one Tiny Dancer a bit here and there, but mostly I wanted to capture the entire flair of the performance.




Enjoy the day!

8 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

That was SO beatiful! I can't believe but I actually teared up watching that! whew, feeling kind of silly sitting here wiping tears and blowing my honker.
Thanks for sharing this. It was like no other recital I've ever seen and I danced ballet for 13 years!

Lynn said...

Mesmerizing, to say the least....love it! Post more, more, more!!!!

Pearl and Pebble said...

Wow Erin that was pretty amazing - and you did a terrific job recording! Thanks for sharing:)

Unknown said...

How exciting for your daughter to be a part of something so much bigger than herself! Such a feeling of accomplishment after weeks/months of practice and rehearsals to stand on a stage in front of a live audience. I'm glad you went out and bought the camcorder to capture this event :)

stregata said...

Looks like it was an absolutely awesome performance! Thanks for sharing!

Silver Parrot said...

What a great experience! I love dance performances - grew up with my grandmother taking all the "girls" (me, my mom, several aunts, and my cousins) to see ABT (American Ballet Theater) at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in L.A. every year. We'd get all dressed up in our Sunday best dresses, eat a fancy lunch and watch the performance. I was lucky enough to see Mikhail Baryshnikov dance several times AND the great Gelsey Kirkland, too.

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful performance and a proud moment for you.

i too love dance performances and was also lucky enough to see Mikhail Baryshnikov. dancing is just a beautiful expression.

Jenners said...

Wow .... that does not seem like the dance recitals or shows I've been to. Very interesting. You must have been so proud!

(And I've NEVER gotten anything at Best Buy without a hassle or a return.)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin