11 January 2011

Encouraging Visionary

Personality is the glitter that sends your little gleam across the footlights and the orchestra pit into that big black space where the audience is.
~Mae West

I always loved doing personality tests. I know my True Colors (Orange-Blue) and my Myers-Briggs letters (ENFP). Remind me to tell you about the Medicine Wheel sometime (I am a South East). I was always the sort that would pick up the Woman's Day magazine at the check out stand and flip to the little psychology quizzes that ask you to pick what sort of fruit you might be or assess your style of living quarters to find out more about your personality.

I came across a website and found it very intriguing to take the test with these interesting little sliders, emptying pots and such to determine my personality (is this me NOT focusing?!?). Not only does it provide you with a free assessment of your character traits, but it also provides it in a color palette. I'm in love!

I quite like what I have discovered. The test rated me an

Encouraging Visionary

The first part, VISIONARY,  is said to be my personality. 


  • Your imagination, self-assuredness, and knowledge of the world combine to make you a VISIONARY.


  • You have clear notions of how things could be, and the confidence to try to make them that way.


  • You enjoy having a routine, and prefer comfort and familiarity to risk and adventure.


  • Not needing others' approval to forge ahead, you are confident in your designs for the future.


  • Your imagination allows you to envision the world as a better place.


  • You're better at thinking of the big picture than you are with details, and you can see wonder in abstract things.


  • Style and appearances are important to you, and you have a good eye for beauty.


  • You are somewhat rigid in your beliefs, which comes from both confidence and an aversion to change.


  • You are good at creating works of art in forms with which you're familiar.


  • You're not afraid to let your emotions guide you, and you're generally considerate of others' feelings as well.


  • Generally, you believe that you control your life, and that external forces only play a limited role in determining what happens to you.


  • And how I relate to others is the ENCOURAGING part.




  • Your outgoing nature, understanding of others, and directness make you ENCOURAGING.


  • You want others to do well for themselves, and you generally believe in their abilities.


  • You often know what's good for people because of your caring nature and your worldview.


  • When you care about someone, you don't keep it to yourself: you are good at letting people know that you're thinking of them.


  • Because you trust people, you take violations of that trust very seriously.


  • You thrive in social situations, and even though you know who you like and who you don't like, you can interact well with many different types of people.


  • You have a healthy respect for people who have earned what they have, and you strive to be similar to successful others.


  • You are a loyal friend and a good listener.


  • But the coolest part is that now I have a color palette to go with it. Here is mine:


    If you roll over the colors you can see them with a tag that explains the personality traits that make up my palette.

    I started reading a book by Danielle LaPorte last year at this time and never finished it. The book is called Style Statement and through a series of in-depth worksheets and probing questions, you come up with a set of two words that describe your personality and life philosophy. Like framing your year with an intention, the Style Statement can powerfully manifest itself in your life, your family, your relationships, your work, your passions. I have to go get back into that book now, since I feel that this little personality DNA must be some of the direction that my Style Statement would go in. Plus this was just so darned fun. I am certainly happy to be considered an Encouraging Visionary.

    Go on and take the test, I would love to know what it says about you! Try if for yourself here, and come back and let me know what your personality is (warning, it will take 20-30 to complete!).

    Enjoy the day!

    13 comments:

    Marcie Abney Carroll said...

    That's crazy! Thanks for the link!

    EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

    Love your personality - it is so you! I just finished taking the test and it said I was a Respectful Leader - hmmm - I am going to have to think about that :) Thanks for sharing!

    Heidi Post said...

    How cool! I'm a Benevolent Creator -- the description described me perfectly. Thanks for the link. It was lots of fun :)

    lunedreams said...

    Thanks for the link! I love taking tests like that too. It said I was a Faithful Creator, and I'd have to say the narrative report was dead on in every respect--esp. the "things you might consider doing differently" part--it had my weaknesses nailed!

    I can certainly see the "encourager" part in your blog posts--they tend to be other-focused, and to spur thought, even when you're sharing about yourself. This seems effortless for you. I see less of some of the "visionary" aspects of your personality in your blog posts ("rigidity", confidence, self-assuredness, "clear notions of how things should be"), I'm guessing because those things may often be masked by self doubt, a fear of appearing arrogant, or a habit of diplomacy (learned things). I see your self-assuredness and confidence in your creations and undertakings (your gallery show! so cool! and thoroughly unique jewelry), but less so in your writing. I think the "you" I see in your undertakings and creations is the Real Erin, and the Self-Doubting Erin will one day take a back seat to the confident visionary underneath.

    Unknown said...

    I couldn't resist taking the test too, I am a Benevolent Creator. I am thinking that most of it is dead. I love that you are an Encouraging Visionary, you are always sharing thoughtful ideas that you are trying to do and I think that helps all of us followers want to try or do better or just feel good about our day.

    Dee said...

    great post, I tried tonight, but it blanked out in the middle, I'm going to go again tomorrow..very interested in the outcome..thanks for sharing!

    JeannieK said...

    I took the test and I'm a Benevolent Leader. That's describes me perfectly. I hope you don't mind if I copy you and post my test on my blog sometime. This was so freaking cool.

    I don't want to say I know you, but "Encouraging Visionary", for sure.

    Courtney Breul said...

    This is great! You are in encouraging visionary in every sense of both words! I am an Animated Director. Pegged me pretty well. This was re-affirming for me. Thank you. I am posting on my blog ~ hope that is ok.

    Joann Mannix said...

    I am one of those test takers, too. I always love the little magazine quizzes.

    I think encouraging visionary describes you to a T.

    Unfortunately right now, I don't have the time to take it, since I am caring for my mother-in-law. She had her biopsy today. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll definitely take the test another day.

    Evie's Tool Emporium said...

    Thank you for sharing! What a fun site!
    Michelle-

    My Life Under the Bus said...

    Very cool I love these things - I an a Genuine Analyst - all Virgo - for sure they pegged me too!

    Holly said...

    I love doing these things too! And thanks for the point out on this, it's very cool. It said I am a Considerate Artist....pegged me on most, but there are a few that were just a tad off ;)

    Jenners said...

    Ooohhh...I love stuff like this. I think I'll do it later tonight.

    And I think Encouraging Visionary suits you to a T ... what is this blog is not encouraging and visionary!

    LinkWithin

    Blog Widget by LinkWithin