14 November 2012

Meatloaf, Smeatloaf, Double-Beatloaf


"Meatloaf, smeatloaf, double-beatloaf. I hate meatloaf," Randy says forlornly.

"All right," shouts Mr. Parker. "I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screwdriver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."

Ralphie just shrugs his shoulders and dives right in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That scene in A Christmas Story (one of my top 5 Christmas movies) is a classic. They are having meatloaf for dinner and Randy - the younger, fussier brother - whines about it.

Last night I served meatloaf. It is my favorite recipe adapted from the Southern Living Homestyle Cooking cookbook called Horseradish Meatloaf.

I know what you are thinking. Ewwww to the horseradish. Don't be such a whiner. I grew up with a great appreciation for horseradish. My dad was a connoisseur. Especially when mixed with ketchup on his polska kielbasa. ;-)

For those that think they don't like the flavor, I usually don't tell them this has horseradish in it until they taste it and exclaim it as delicious. Then I come clean and they are always surprised. But the horseradish is the secret ingredient and does, indeed, make this flavor out of this world!

The only thing I dislike about making meatloaf (besides getting my hands all mushy) is the fact that it takes so long to bake. Even in the mini loaf pans that I buy in bulk.

But when I saw this picture from Pinterest...


...I knew that would be the solution! Cooks up way faster and perfect portion sizes, too!

I whipped up the ingredients and popped the balls in the muffin tins. From this one batch I got 22 tins full.
They cooked in about 30 minutes. I will never make meatloaf in a loaf pan again.

And while that was cooking I threw in some carrots to roast in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper, balsamic vinegar and honey. They were okay, except I put on too much vinegar and not nearly enough honey. I usually steam some baby carrots and then add them to a sauce pan with melted butter, brown sugar, nutmeg and salt and pepper. I call them candy carrots and it is the only way I will eat them next to raw. Next time I will try doing that in the oven instead!

You have to have mashed potatoes with meatloaf. It is a law, right? I know that I could wash and peel and poke and cut and boil and then mash, but I don't have that kind of time. Nor patience. So I bought two packages from my pal Bob Evans of already whipped mashed potatoes in both plain butter and garlic and then mixed the two. Voila! Dinner is served!


Horseradish Meatloaf
2 pounds ground beef (I use 85% lean)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 C. oatmeal (but next time I am going to try dry bread crumbs instead)
1/2 C. ketchup
1 T. horseradish (or more if you are like me!)
1/4 C. milk (but a dash of worcestshire sauce might be a good alternative)
1/2 onion, finely minced (I didn't mince fine enough. Next time it might be 1 t. onion powder instead.)
2 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 C. finely diced cheese (try crumbled Cotswald Cheddar for great flavor. I used a basil asiago that we happened to have which was also good.)

Sauce:
1/2 C. ketchup
3 T. brown sugar
1 T. horseradish
2 t. spicy brown or dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix all meatloaf ingredients together well (Although messy, it’s easiest to do this with your hands). Roll the meat mixture into a large balls and press into a greased muffin tin.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients. (I actually don't measure. I just go by feeling on this). Spoon half of the sauce mixture on top of the meatloaf. Place meatloaf in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes.
4. Spoon remaining sauce over the top and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for an additional 5 minutes before serving.


A few fun facts about meatloaf:

  • Meatloaf traces its origins back to German traditions, but just about every country has a variety from Austria, Finland, Macedonia and even Vietnam. 
  • During the Great Depression, meatloaf was a way to stretch a food budget using inexpensive meats and other leftover ingredients along with spices and cereal grains to bind it together and make it go farther.
  • Meatloaf is interchangeable with meatballs and is traditionally served with some sort of sauce over the top. Either a tomato based sauce, a simple gravy or even barbecue sauce is popular.
  • Some people 'frost' their meatloaf with mashed potatoes, drizzling with butter and browning in the oven. Now that would make the muffin tin idea really work!
  • Meatloaf is typically served warm as a main dish, but a lot of people like to eat it cold the next day as a sandwich meat and many diners and restaurants today are finding the charm of this humble comfort food.

What is your favorite meatloaf memory? Is there anything different or surprising that you like to include in your recipe? Do tell!

12 comments:

peacockfairy said...

Oh my gosh Erin - yum! The muffin tin is a great idea!!! My Grandma makes the best meatloaf and no one in the family can replicate it! I am hungry for it now.....

Kim Stevens said...

Okay, I'm loving the muffin tin idea!! And I think the horseradish would give it a nice kick!!

Lori P said...

Yeah!!! I saw this recipe and told hubbers and we both went "oooh". I love both horseradish AND meatloaf AND my eldest has been asking for it lately. AND (and this is the surprising part) I actually have that cookbook! It's a sign. We'll certainly take your suggestions and make this pronto.

Thanks Erin. :)

Alice said...

Mmmm, looks yummy! I've been making my meatloaf in muffin tins for a few years now. Best advice I ever got for meatloaf. I'll have to try horseradish in mine next time. Hubby likes things spicy but I cant't handle it.. Making meatloaf in muffin tins allow me to put a little less horseradish in a a couple meatballs. My daughter likes them without the ketsup/brown sugar sauce.

Erin Siegel said...

I love meatloaf, too. Have not made it in a while. A nutritionist once gave me a recipe for a healthy turkey meatloaf version with lots of diced veggies in it. She was the one who told me of the muffin tin thing a few years ago. Best thing ever for meatloaf. I really liked that turkey meatloaf recipe, but my husband....not so much. I have this problem constantly. I've been meaning to find a new recipe. So, I may have to try this one, Erin. Thanks for posting!!!

Barbara Lewis said...

Great idea for the muffin tins! I love meatloaf, especially cold meatloaf sandwiches with mustard!

The Crafty Mama said...

I think I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe and the great idea!

Rosanne said...

There is no better comfort food then meatloaf. With piles of mashed potatoes and butter. The first thing I make when its time to turn on the oven in the fall. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will definitely try it. As for the muffin tins, I don't mind waiting. Lately my favorite meatloaf is something called a bacon cheeseburger...everything all in one pan. Soooo good!

Anonymous said...

Yummmm! I thought I was going to have to give up meatload to eat gluten-free...I didn't even think about using oats instead of breadcrumbs. I'm going to try this recipe soon!

Anonymous said...

Oops! Should say "meatloaf"! LOL

Anonymous said...

Erin, thanks for this recipe! I love horseradish! My grandmother always raised it in her garden and got me hooked! I have to try this one! I used to have a recipe for saurkraut meatloaf that was so deliecious! Can't find it, wish I could. P.S. I love using mufin tins. Since I live by myself, I can easily take the small ones and freeze them to use later.

Shai Williams said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love meatloaf and anything with horseradish is a good thing. You know that is one plant that you could probably get to thrive. It is so hardy that a cement planter is recommended. It will even find its way through metal to take over.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin