13 May 2012

Button Swap Blog Hop Reveal!

Happy Mother's day to all the moms and grandmas out there, as well as those who mother others!

Today is the reveal for the Button Swap hosted by Miss Cindy Wimmer of Sweet Bead Studio. Cindy and I connected instantly online, especially since we seem to be two of the few that are up past midnight creating! I had the good fortune to meet her at the ArtBliss in March 2011. She is just as warm and lovely as you would expect her to be, and so very talented!

{some vintage plastic, metal, mother of pearl, wood, resin and three special buttons created just for me from Diana!}

I knew with some deadlines looming that I had to get right on top of creating for the swap so I did show a sneak peek the other day. I lucked out with my partner, Diana Ptaszynski of Suburban Girl Studio. She makes really awesome ceramic components. So of course in addition to the vintage buttons she sent me, there were three that she made herself!

I ended up making a bracelet, a necklace and a bangle set with some of the buttons. That big wood one keeps coming out to play on my bead table, but I have yet to find the right friends to pair it with... for another day I suppose.

Since there is a lot of hopping to do, I will get right to it (I know, hard for me!).

{Glint of Green}

Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
To-day the glint of green is there;
Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
I know no thing so wondrous fair,
No miracle so strangely rare.
I wonder what will next be there!
~L.H. Bailey

Spring is busting out all over the dang place. The trees were bare for what seemed like a nanosecond and then they were full of rustling green confetti on the breeze. The grass has sprung up tall and lanky already so early this year. I was inspired by the growing greens all around me with this design.

For this piece I used two of the mother of pearl buttons that Diana gifted me. One had a nice shank on the back so I knew that would be the clasp. The other has some nice carved cuts in it. I wanted that to show. In my stash I found the first thing that I ever etched: a hand drawn motif on an off center donut shape. It was still raw, so I polished it up and used some patina to bring out the details, buffing up the copper and sealing it. I found this pretty spring green swirly vine ceramic pendant from Marsha Neal Studio and it just seemed like the perfect fit. I paired that with crisp green kyanite shards, moonstone briolettes and aqua chalcedony ovals.

{Stepping Stones & Stumbling Blocks}

"The only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is the way you use them."
~ Anonymous 

I really like this quote. I have to remember this, that perspective is everything. For this one I knew that I wanted to use one of Diana's special buttons in this piece. And the shape of that beat up wood button was just so intriguing. I made it the clasp with some vintage cut glass beads in a rich bronze color that were salvaged from a defunct necklace. Add to that a polymer clay lentil bead from Heather Powers of Humblebeads in soft sage green, a faceted ceramic bead in a rich mustard from Diane Hawkey, rounded square wood nuggets (the stumbling blocks ;-), some cool rings made from tiny sage green dyed seashells, and some funky chain from the Lipstick Ranch.

{The Sea is Calling}
 The Sea is calling on you:
Jump off the Boat!
And submerge yourself
In my fine waters.
~Rumi

You know those commercials where they show 'real' people on the street who pick up a seashell that is ringing and they hear, "Hello! This is the sea calling!" I was thinking of that the whole time I made this! I really was quite smitten with that quaint little anchor button. I wanted to make a stack of bangles to showcase it. I created one bangle with the button and wire wrapped and knotted with a twine. I then wire wrapped tiny seashells and some river stones on it. The second bangle featured a pretty polymer clay starfish from Humblebeads. I wrapped a wire filled with a pretty matte finish slate blue peanut bead around the brass wire bass. The third bangle (because I believe that everything is better in threes) has some pretty shell beads and a brass seahorse. I like the way the brass wire looks, but unfortunately it is really heavy with the shells and spins around too much, so I will be reworking that. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for stopping by! Thank you to my sweet partner and new bead buddy Diana Ptaszynski of Suburban Girl Studio, and the lovely hostess Miss Cindy of Sweet Bead Studio for coming up with the idea for this fun swap and hop. You can find a complete list of pairings on Cindy's blog - start hopping!


48 comments:

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Lovely as always Miss Erin! Your creativity astounds. I am especially drawn to the sea inspired bangles, 'cause well - the sea calls me!

peacockfairy said...

Love them all, especially the nautical themed bangle set!!!

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

Beautiful designs Erin! My favorite is the sand dollar bangle. I really love the spiraling peanut beads; adds such a unique element to the design.

Alice said...

Erin, your gorgeous designs never cease to amaze me. I love each and every one of them, but my favorite is the bangles!

BahamaDawn said...

BEAUTIFUL work!! the bangles with the sea theme are my favorite.

Karyn B said...

stunning, all of it, but 'glint of green' is so lovely! just adore it.

Sandra said...

you are very talented, gorgeous designs!

Jenny said...

The necklace is my fav, anyone who knows me knows I adore those colors and moonstones too! Lovely!!! But the bangles - oh yes, I want to wear an arm full of bangles everyday. Working in the ceramics studio kinda kills that idea tho. I really like all of you r creations, diverse, colorful and well thought out - that they are!

Cindy said...

Erin, whenever I see your jewelry I am always so blown away. You have such incredible talent, no matter what you create with. Your first necklace is full of unexpected details - and the colors so soft and tranquil. Love the focal and the way you added the MOP buttons. And your bracelet - what a showcase of handmade details. It is stunning. Finally, the set of bangles is right up my alley. I have been collecting anchor buttons for some time, waiting to something special with them. Your set has a subtle nautical feel to it and they look fabulous together. What a beautiful line up, Erin!!

Angel Whisperer said...

As allways gorgeous feminine work of art and lovely colors
wonderful stones in the necklace with subtile shimmer jummm and as most comments I have to agree to that those sea inspired bangles are divine !! sometimes "it sucks" to be Swedish as I cant use my own language to express myself ........or I could but then You cant read it :)

Stories They Tell said...

Erin, your work is always beautiful but you are so clever in coming up with a concept and using the unusual in interesting ways-- quite the gift! I never know what to do with "theme" buttons like the anchor one and you worked the whole design around it! Brilliant! Love, love the stack but all of your pieces are fabulous! Happy Mother's Day.

AntiquityTravelers said...

at risk of copying everyone else ... totally agree - that 'sea is calling' piece is fantastic! LOVE it!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Yummy gorgeousness as always Erin you've outdone yourself!

Diana P. said...

Erin, I am in awe of all the pieces you made! Love each and every one of them. I'd wear them all! Thanks for being a great swap partner! See you in a couple of weeks!

Pretty Things said...

Really love the bangle set, and the green kyanite and stacked pendant is terrific! Actually, I just love them all.

And that big wood button -- I had one once and made a hair tie out of it with a thick ponytail holder and lots of fun beads popping out of the holes.

Billi's Paper Batiks said...

Love the nautical theme. Beautiful colors and buttons. Love this swap.

Sarah Sequins said...

Hurray for night owls! I've lost count of the number of times I've stayed up until 2:00 in the morning beading. :)

Beautiful buttons, and I love what you made with them! What a great swap idea.

Shirley said...

I absolutely love hearing your creative process! You know how they say we only use 10% of our brains? I think you got to use an extra 10, because you just never seem to run out of unique, creative ideas!
I can't even pick a favorite, cause they're all so stunning! I love your etched piece in the necklace, and the bracelet really got me because of the quote! You set off her handmade button perfectly with the green and the wooden button for the clasp.
I hope you can come up with a solution for the seashell bangle, cause it's my favorite!
Hope you had a wonderful day!

LiliKrist said...

As always, your pieces just like story, so many 'lovely surprises' element.

Off the Beadin' Path said...

Erin, your brilliance comes through again. You always provide a major impact of WOW! I'm just so tired right now, but I agree with all of the wonderful comments, the unexpected elements, the sand dollar, the details, techniques, colors. Yes, astounding!

kristibasket said...

Ummm.....WOW!! Your pieces are over the top!! Beautiful!

Shel said...

Wow - really!! All your designs are fabulous, and that's an understatement!! Love the sea bangles the best because I'm drawn to anything nautical, but the stepping stones bracelet is super gorgeous!!

Thoughtfulhands said...

Loved all your pieces I mean really loved them but my favorite was the stumbling block bracelet, I just loved the colors you used.

Love your work!

Sharyl said...

I confess I looked at those buttons and drew a blank, then I saw your masterpieces! They certainly landed in the right hands! Your creativity is always close at hand!

sandi m said...

Great pieces Erin. That wood barrel button made me smile as I remember having a coat eons ago with those type of buttons.
And I love the bangles ~ very calming.

Firefly Visions said...

I have got to learn how to create those sunning bangle bracelets. I love your designs. Thanks so much for sharing.

Cece Cormier said...

All of them, just beautiful. No need to say much more...!

sandi Volpe said...

Beautiful work, stories and photos, love the bangles!!

JenHoney said...

Erin, you are nothing short of a creative genius. I never would have imagined twine and shells going so well with your style, but those bracelets are just awesome!

Holly said...

Erin, I always just fall in love with every thing you create for these hops, and this time around was no exception. And honestly, I couldn't even tell you which piece I like more - they're all just so lovely!

Cilla said...

Everything is beautiful as always. I just love the stacking bangles. Beautiful!

Tracy Statler said...

Oh Erin. The greens are so calming and beautiful. The green kyanite sticks are to die for! I think you may become the new bracelet girl! For a gal who once did not do many bracelets - you did an incredible job with that bangle set! Really stunning. You really can make any piece of jewelry stunning. I would love to be a fly on the wall of your studio when you are creating!

Hope to see you at Bead & Button!

Tracy

Jeannie K said...

Love the colors in glint of green. The kyanite shards add a interesting look. The bracelets are jaw dropping. Especially love the stack. You have so many interesting bits in them. Those shell beads are wowie wow. I never seen those before. Not surprised I saw them here first.

kimmykats said...

What special pieces you have created. I love Chalcedony so that drew my eye then the sea shells and peanut beads...I can't pick they are all so wonderful. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Wow, what a great job!! I love your designs! They are so pretty, I especially love the sea themed jewelry!

CraftyHope said...

You never cease to amaze me. Once again you've made some amazing pieces. My favorite has got to be the bracelet stack though. I simply love anything that relates to the beach.
I really like the way you personified that large button by saying you hadn't found the right friends for it yet. It really makes you think about what if certain beads/findings/charms are really destined to be together like some people are. Maybe I'm just a little to dreamy-eyed about things though. Thanks for that little bit of fantasy for me!

Charming Peggy said...

beeeuteeeful! I love what you did with those buttons! Unfortunately I am on day two of blog hopping and I am pooped. Out of words so to speak. Your blog is great and I am a new follower.

Creative Arty Facts said...

Erin, I just love what you've created with your buttons. The necklaces are just beautiful!

KayzKreationz said...

I love all your pieces, but Glint of Green really calls to me. I love the focal and the shank bead for the clasp. Very nice.

In the Light of the Moon said...

Wow these are awesome Erin...there is so much to see in each piece.I need to grab a cup of tea and stay for a while.Beautiful!! Truly!! xoxo Cat

Kym Hunter Designs said...

Each piece is very lovely! I really like the "Stepping Stones" bracelet and the bangle bracelets that you made.

Have a great day!

Julia said...

What lovely buttons, and what wonderful things you made!!! I'm a water-baby, myself, so I'm quite partial to the starfish bracelet... but I love it all!

Thanks for sharing your work! See you around <3

*~* Julia *~* http://beautifullywhimsical.blogspot.com *~*

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

What a stunning collection of pieces! So much style and personality. I can't decide if the Glint of Green necklace or the Sea Bracelets are my favorite. Every piece is so awesome!

Kim said...

Really beautiful pieces, I love them all.

Christine said...

Amazing pieces - I love them all!! Your work is always inspiring me to take it a step further!!

LoriF said...

Finally able to make some of the rounds today...wow, your work is gorgeous. I'm totally impressed that you managed to make pieces from (what appears to be) all of the buttons your partner sent. My absolute favorite is the "sea" group...the water calls to me too. :-)

Mary Harding said...

Hi Erin, Wonderful pieces. Esp love the hint of green. So cool the way you connected the pendant with the button to the necklace. It works beautifully!!

SueBeads said...

Wow, beautiful pieces, Erin! You are such an over-achiever!!!! Hope your car wasn't too expensive!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin