28 August 2014

30 Words :: Bunny Cuddles


Here.
Hold this.
No hesitation.
Cupping the silky softness
in your hands.
Stroking tiny ears.
Recognizing
your granddaughter.
Relaxed.
Calm.
Smiling.
Seeing you
light up
in this way
is
priceless.


Last Friday there was a 'County Fair' day at the center with games and fair food and animals. I came back to see if I could help. When I got there mom was already outside, pushing the wheelchair of another resident to view the little petting zoo set up on the lawn. Baby ducks just two days old... a turkey... a peacock... a piglet and a pup... two turtles and some salamanders... a chicken that loves to be held... kittens... and even an emu! But when they offered mom a baby bunny, she took right to it. She didn't let that bunny go and wandered all around, stroking its soft fur. I haven't seen my mom this animated and engaged in a long time. Almost makes me wish that I could get a bunny myself just so I could bring it to her! It has been five months at this place and I have never seen her happier. And while she can't really tell me how she is feeling I could see the joy in her face and that gave me peace.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The premise of 30 Words Thursdays is simple...
Take an image (preferably one you shot, or have permission to use).
Write 30 Words about it. No more. No less.
Post it each Thursday.
Add your link to the InLinkz on my 30 Words Thursday post.
(InLinkz code will be open for one week.)
Enjoy seeing what others have captured by visiting them and leaving a comment.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Get the InLinkz code for your blog!


7 comments:

Drtanglebones said...

This post is happy, sad, upsetting, and wonderful all at the same time. Gotta go wipe my eyes off now...

Niky Sayers said...

Such an increadbly touching and beautiful post x

Beverley Baird said...

Your poem and photos really touched me. I lost my moem 6 years ago - her nickname was Bunny (hence my blog's dame!) and she loved bunnies. She would have been tickled too to hold one. Lovely!

Mal said...

Ah, dear Erin. What a poignant and beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing your joy and your vulnerability. Much love and strength and courage to you and your mother and your family. Amidst it all Erin may there be golden moments like this that sustain you all. Wendy

Ann Schroeder said...

Lovely.

Sarajo Wentling said...

Oh Erin, I'm so glad that you had these precious moments with your mom. As always, sending you lots of love and hugs... and maybe bunnies?

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Lovely.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin