19 March 2010

Lily at Twilight


“When twilight drops her curtain down and pins it with a star, remember that you have a friend though she may wander far." ~Lucy Maud Montgomery

Do you remember a few weeks ago when I shared all the goodies that came to me from Rings & Things? They have really been outdoing themselves lately...seems that every time I turn around there is another surprise waiting for me. I am a slow creator I would guess. I have great ideas every time I get one of these goodie bags in the mail, but my time escapes me.

I got the two baggies filled with assorted shell pearls and dark, almost vintage-y looking crystals, and I have to tell you that I was smitten. The colors are rich, and bold. The crystals were a deep purple and a mysterious blue both with a rich AB coating. They mixed so well with the various sizes of the pearls in soft cashmere gray, graphite and purple.

The size on the pearls was quite opulent as well. And I knew that I wanted to challenge myself to use the biggest ones in the bunch.

I recently ordered some stunning silk sari ribbon from DesignTalentedOne on Etsy. I see so many people using these fantasy ribbons in their work, and I wanted to give it a try. So I bought all the colors she had {didn't I tell you I have no filters?}. The sapphire color went quite well with the pearl mix so that was my palette.

Recently, I ordered some things from Ornamentea including antique brass ribbon ends. So that set the metal tone for my piece. And I used a little Vintaj toggle and hook for a clasp. But you know that I like to mix metals, and I am not a materials snob, so I also added in a vintage rhinestone button, silver plated bead caps and also the frame for the ribbon.

I am not a sewer. I am a glue-gunner. Or a duct-taper. But sewing I have little patience for. You have to squint too hard to get the thread through that tiny hole and then the thread always gets tangled. However, I wanted to achieve one of those soft flower looks that I see everywhere. How to do it?

Then I spied a little silver plated link on my bead table. Basically it is a large jump ring with wire wrapping it like a cage {can't believe I actually bought that. Next time I will make my own}. I proceeded to poke the ribbon through the holes making loose loops. I took a bit of bronze wire and attached the button to my ribbon flower, making a shank on the bottom for stringing.

As I started stringing, I realized there was something missing. That is when I remembered that back in December I bought a boat-load of Humblebeads {really, can you have too many of Heather's fine beads? In fact, another shipment of them just arrived...and I have just begun to use December's splurges!}. I dug around and unearthed this gorgeous Twilight Lily focal bead...and the design came together in a flash!

I like these pearls from Rings and Things. They have a heft to them that feels very real. I think that the mixes they sent are full of possibilities {and I see from some of my other blog partner friends that there are other colors than the blue-purple mixes that I got}.

I love the color of the ribbon and how it softens the repetitive pattern.
An art bead always saves the day, and Humblebeads are some of my very favorite.

{Lily at Twilight}

So, what about you?
Is there a designing dilemma or nemesis that you are looking to rid yourself of?
{Hint: Mine is color.}

Do you always do the same thing?
Are you stuck in a rut?
Are you seeking some inspiration?

What would YOU do with these same materials?

Do tell!


{Secret giveaway alert! If you read this far ~ bravo! Now...tell me how you would use these materials. I will bundle up some of these same pearls, crystals and sari ribbon just for you and send them off...a random winner will be selected from all comments on this post through Monday, March 22nd}

Check It Out::Pearls of wisdom from a great blog It's All About Joy

Enjoy the day!

The pearl mixes used in the previous post, specifically referenced as from Rings and Things, were provided as promotional gifts by for review or design partnership purposes. All other materials referenced were purchased by the designer.

25 comments:

peacockfairy said...

Gorgeous job Erin! The AB finish on those crystals reminds me of a peacock, so maybe I would pair them with one of those awesome lockets you sent me the link for the other day!

cjvierow said...

Erin--Love what you created out of your treasures. I think I would use pearls, crystals, labradorite, and other goodies to create lots of movement. Love things that sparkle and dangle. There must be a gypsy in my background somewhere--I remember as a young girl wanting a beaded curtain on my bedroom door. :-) CJ

rosebud101 said...

Erin, I'm like you. It takes me a while to visualize things. I love how you developed your style. It's elegant and beautiful. I'm more garish and loud. I think I'd use the supplies to challenge myself to make some more subtle and elegant like yours.

EmandaJ said...

Yes indeed, I have read thast far, and please include me in your random drawing. I would just swoon over those lovely beads and findings. What you did with the ribbon was inspired!

me, I'm an earring girl, I would stace and sort those beauties into fabulous dangles that would catch everyone's eye (in a good way, not "OGM, what is THAT!?!")

So send them on, my dear.

Eileen said...

Ohhh, your necklace is gorgeous!! and I looove the earrings!
What would I do with the same materials?... the big beads scare me... that would be a huge challenge for me!

Beverly Herman said...

Erin I really like how creative you were with the crystals and pearls from Rings & Things. I have some of those crystals different sizes. I love the richness of them. I watch Heather make hers and saw some of the other blog partner pieces. Yours is a great design.

stregata said...

Great use of the ribbon - the flower looks wonderful. Would have liked to see the link you used. A very soft looking necklace - reminds me of that time of evening, when the light seems blue, just before dark.
Great work!

Barbara Lewis said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors and the fact that we can mix silvers and antique bronzes ... jewelry design is so freeing these days with our ability to mix metals. A really beautiful piece! Gorgeous colors!

Anonymous said...

I adore what you did with this set, the silk flower turned out very pretty, and the humblebead really was perfect for the design. Not to mention that blue is my favourite colour, so the sapphire silk is just making me drool ;)

My designing dilemma? Colour. By which I mean: anything containing more than one, even when it's very subdued, and still more so when it's bold.

What would I do... hm, that's hard, but I think I might try something with a grape-like cluster of those pearls and crystals, as a pendant dangling from the silk ribbon. With silver metal probably... not sure if it would work, but that's what I'd try to do.

Judy said...

Ooooooh Miss Erin you outdid yourself girl...love it! The colors are stunning and so rich and your design just lovely. As I was reading the post I could not wait to see the picture and it definitely had a WOW factor for me.

Esther said...

magnifique Erin!!

Anonymous said...

Thinking about it... the pearls are probably too big for what I had in mind, so I might challenge myself to make a bracelet. I like larger beads in bracelets, and it would certainly be nice to see that ribbon in one.

sandi m said...

Beautiful piece and great description traveling through your creative process.
What would I do? I see antiqued silver chain, wire wrapping, and a focal somewhere.
My designing dilemma - too many creative ideas racing through my head! I work with a variety of materials so I'm never really doing the same thing. Never enough time.
Thanks for sharing your stash.

Diane said...

Erin...I love all of your pieces! Absolutely gorgeous, and especially the ribbon flower! Beautiful, beautiful work =)

Anonymous said...

Your blog ..... it's amazing and soooo inspiring. Nice to find you!

A small footprint from Agneta & Sweden

Ps. I have an ongoing jewelry contest on my blog. Welcome! Ds

lisa oram said...

Wow - love that necklace! The flower is fabulous. On another blog, I saw someone else design with those same materials (can't remember now who it was). Great to see different styles come out . . .those colors are especially lucious, though I'm not sure I would have picked them on my own. Goes to show the value of pushing beyond your usual.
Now I know what are doing until 1 am! I wondered after your comment on my blog if you get a similar quality of time at the wee ends of the day that I am seeking at the early, early beginning. . . seems like it should work that way, the math is the same, but it sure doesn't for me. I don't function well on less than 8 hours. I hear that "older" age brings a need for less sleep, and I'd take that. Take care, lisa

m'lis said...

Just stumbled on your blog, and am totally blown away by this design - outstanding work!

For me, the biggest challenge is trying to move myself out of my rut: one large focal bead on a cord. I'm bored with that, but my inner critic keeps telling me that's all I'm capable of doing. I'm slowly trying to increase my stash with things that are more inspiring and outside of my comfort zone, and these treasures would certainly move me in that direction. Thanks for an awesome giveaway!!

Erin S said...

Love that fabric--such a bold color! I would wrap it with antique brass wire and seed beads, and create a cluster/dangle with the focal bead and a few pearls, chain, charms, etc.

Unknown said...

That is beautiful! Your talent always leaves me in awe!

kat said...

Erin... I just LOVE what you did with these pieces. The necklace is absolutely stunning and the prettiest thing I've ever seen!!

I'm like you... color gets me all the time. I really wish I had a knack of combining different colors.

Thanks for the giveaway... such a gorgeous shade of blue ribbon!! Pearls and crystals are my favourite materials as well.

Sharon M. said...

Erin, You have been busy!! That shade of blue ribbon just does something to me! What would I do with those luscious items...I'd love to do what you did, a hard act to follow...I would probably start with my recently found vintage butterfly with blue glass beads in each wing section, then shape some of the ribbon in a "bow" that would just frame the butterfly. It seems that sterling silver wire would be nice to link most of the other beads, but I'll let you know WHEN they arrive in the mail! Thanks for being generous!

Alice said...

You did a great job and I just love the colors.

I would have to say my nemisis is stringing, which is all I know how to do. I have no time to learn a new medium, and no money to pour into new supplies, and worst of all, I'm the kind of person who needs to take a class rather than learning from a book or the internet. But this year I vow to learn one thing new...

With these materials I would probably make a bracelet with loads of shell pearl dangles, or a multi-strand neclace.

Alice
thepetersons13@mchsi.com

Karin said...

I really love your flower. It's true that necessity is the mother of invention! I have trouble making my hands do what my head pictures, but sometimes I get a better result when I let the materials take over for me.

Karin

Pearl and Pebble said...

This is soooo beautiful and color is fabulous!

Unknown said...

A stunner!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin